Regional Library Manager
Salaried, 40 hour exempt position, $43,700 – $48,000 starting range
Required Education: Master’s Degree
Master’s Degree in a program of Library and Information Science strongly preferred. Master’s Degree in a related field and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Minimum five years library experience with increasing responsibility
Three years supervisory experience preferred
Excellent Communication Skills
Dedication to Leadership in a team environment
Outstanding customer service attitude
Reporting to and collaborating with the Director, provides management and oversight of multiple library locations. Work involves oversight and participation in all facets of regional operations, including hiring, training, scheduling and evaluating staff as well as oversight of operations, facilities and equipment, collection development, materials selection, programs and community outreach, and fiscal accountability.
Actively participates on District Management team.
Work will include weekend and evening hours and travel between libraries.
District Management Team Summary:
Participates actively on the District Management Team and, with the District Director, creates short and long term plans of service and goals for the libraries
Collaborates with the District management team to plan programs and service to meet the needs of the communities and ensures appropriateness of programming content, format and scheduling
Participates on the Collection Development Team to assess and develop District collections
Works with the Communications Manager to promote services and programs
Demonstrates leadership in technology and coordinates programs and training for both staff and public in cooperation with the IT Manager and Management Team
Assists with budget preparation, strategic planning, and goal setting for the libraries along with the Management team and the District Director
Prepares reports and summaries for use of the Director and District Library Board of Trustees
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Oversees day-to-day operations of the libraries, assures customer service standards are met, and manages expenditures of assigned budget categories
- Ensures the proper functioning and maintenance of physical facilities, assesses facility needs and reports maintenance, service and repair needs, and plans for facility improvements in collaboration with the District Director
- Ensures maintenance of attractive and orderly appearance of library facilities; ensures books, furniture and equipment are attractively and safely arranged and accessible for patrons
- Supervises and performs personnel management functions for library staff, substitutes, and volunteers. Works with the District Director in recruiting and hiring library staff. Assures that staff have current training in policies, procedures and methods, monitors need for training, plans for staff training with the Management Team, ensures adherence to District policies, procedures and safety standards. Manages performance observation and evaluations, incentives, disciplinary actions in communication with the Director
- Establishes daily and weekly schedules to ensure appropriate staff coverage for library management during facility operating hours. Uses staff as a team to provide excellent customer service in area facilities
- Trains lead staff in the libraries to act as building resource staff during times when the manager is not in the building and maintains communication with lead staff
- Assures quality patron service in the libraries and acts as the resource librarian for staff. Supervises readers’ advisory services, reference, and research assistance and referral information. Trains staff to provide quality assistance
- Takes an active role in the communities by representing the Library District at local events and with membership in organizations and associations.
- Promotes a culture of excellent customer service
- Works actively with local Friends and Foundation groups and promotes library advocacy
- Demonstrates leadership in technology and coordinates programs and training for the staff and public along with the IT Manager and the Management Team. Stays current with technology development and use of new technologies in libraries
- Participates in District-wide programs and promotions
- Conducts community needs assessments and collects information about customer satisfaction
- Reviews and evaluates statistical data and statistical reporting; provides summarization reports and other pertinent subject matter of interest as requested by District Director or Management Team
- Assists in development of library budgets and assures that assigned areas of the budget are properly expended within established budgetary parameters
- Manages the compilation and accounting of daily and weekly accounting and cash reports; ensures appropriate reconciliation and accounting for all cash transactions
- Receives and responds to requests, complaints, concerns and general inquiries from the public and patrons, provides resolution accordingly and refers matters of importance to the Director
- Actively pursues personal development and stays informed of trends in library service and programming, attends meetings and conferences as assigned, and is active in local and professional organizations